12 Days of Bloggers Day Nine: Baddeleyite!

Hi all! I'm away from home right now, but wanted to get these last 12 days of bloggers posts up! I'm on my phone, so I'll have to add pictures and actual links later, but here it is!

Name: Mimmi  baddeleyite

Blog Name/URL: http://baddeleyite.blogspot.se/

Other places to follow online:

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/xmimmix/nails/

A hardly used Twitter: https://twitter.com/BaddeleyiteNail

Tell me a little bit about yourself!

I live in southern Sweden and am currently halfway through my PhD in geology: geochronology to be specific. Simply put, geochronology means that I date rocks. The method I use is uranium-lead on the mineral baddeleyite (hey, that's the name of the blog!). I do a lot of work under a microscope, moving around crystals the size of a few tens of microns. Because of that, painting on such small canvases as nails doesn't seem so frightening, I guess. They are huge comparing to what I usually do! Painting my nails is the best meditation I know of, and a nice break from lab work and academia.

Where did you get the inspiration for your blog name?

See above! It's my favourite mineral.

How did you first get into blogging?

Through r/redditlaqueristas. Everyone else seemed to be doing it, and I thought what the heck. I also had a friend who pressed me to collect all my designs in one place.

How long have you been into nail polish and nail painting?

Since before I actually owned any polish! I remember being 5 or six and painting my nails with watercolours mixed with soap. I always did tiny motifs, palm trees and mahjong signs being my speciality. When I was 12 or so and actually owned some polishes, I found myself almost unable of wearing just straight colours. I used taping a lot, usually painting half my nails and leaving the other half bare, or making gradient like stuff using acetone ("single colour grunge nails", perhaps). I am 30 years now, so I guess I've been into it for 25 years…

How many polishes do you have in your stash? Perhaps 200? It is only recently that I started buying a lot of polishes, just a few months ago I still had to mix my one blue colour with my one yellow colour if I wanted a green one. Oh, what a sweer summer child I was.

What are your favorite base and top coats? Ooh, this will be a shameful thing to admit among fellow nail lacquer lovers, but I don't really use either product. I don't think I ever actually owned a base coat. I change my polish so often that long lasting and chip-preventing just isn't a thing! As for top coats, I did have a fling with Seche Vite once, and I still like it to smooth out gradients or otherwise intentionally smearing out designs. And on top of glitter, for sure.

What are some of your other hobbies or interests?

All sorts of crafts! Painting, needle felting, sewing, working with clay, paper… all materials really. I just have this enormous need to make stuff in nice colours that are of no use what so ever. Tiny, silly things. Oh, I also collect erasers! Tiny, silly, colourful is my three lead words.

What is your #1 polish lemming right now?

I'm not sure it classifies as a lemming if it's not hard to get, but I've been wanting to get my hands on the graffiti polishes from Nails Inc ever since they came out!

If you only had one polish on a desert island, what would it be?

Probably Chanel Dragon. The perfect red, and more or less a one coater. That way, it'll last me a lot longer. And who knows for how long I'll be stuck on that island?

Do you prefer freehand art, taping, or stamping?

Freehand. It's the most fun to do, in my opinion. I've never tried stamping because all motifs look like 1998 clip art.

What upcoming collection are you most excited for? I saw a rumor that Deborah Lippmann is coming out with a Girls themed collection (the HBO TV series created by and starring Lena Dunham). I love that series, and the picture that was leaked (?) showed some great polish colours. But honestly, it's the theme and not the colours that is important here.

What is the best Christmas present you've ever received?

My brother and his girlfriend had a key to my apartment and went in fixing a lot of broken stuff - a lamp that hadn't been working for a few years, a loose electrical socket and exchanging my old stove for a new one. They then put red bows on all the areas where they had fixed something.

Gingerbread men or sugar cookies? Gingerbread!

Multicolored lights or all white?

All white!

What is your favorite holiday tradition?

The traditional Swedish Christmas food. Pickled herrings, meatballs, doppa (broth or gravy to dip bread in), red cabbage salad, salmon, ham with mustard…

So yeah! Isn't the explanation behind the blog name awesome? I love it! Go check out her stuff!

Comments