12 Days of Bloggers Day Six: Robyn Loves Nails!




Name: Robyn


Other places (links) to follow you online:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/112979068369796334689/posts


Check out this adorable Santa manicure that Robyn did for my Christmas challenge.
I love the fluffy coat and little buckle especially! :D

Tell me a little bit about yourself! I'm 38, a mom of 3 (2 boys and a girl), a systems engineer by trade but an artist at heart.  I love playing video games, often the more violent the better, I draw, read a ton of comics and read a lot of urban fantasy.  I'm also a huge, huge beer geek - I love beer even more than I love nails, I think.

Where did you get the inspiration for your blog name?  I was having a super non-creative day when I named it.  I'm Robyn, I love nails and nail art...um, that's it.  Kind of shameful but I never expected anyone to read it so I wasn't trying to be clever or creative.  Lately I've been thinking about renaming and redesigning my blog to be more in line with who I am, it's just a matter of finding the time to do it.

How did you first get into blogging?  I've been blogging unsuccessfully for years.  My first blogs were about gaming, programming, Unix, engineering and math but no one but me ever read those.  My nail blog is by far my most successful and I am just tickled about that.  Even if it never grows beyond it's current point I'm happy - I never ever dreamed anyone would read it at all - having a handful of people who share this common interest take time out of their days to look at it is just amazing to me.

How long have you been into nail polish and nail painting?  I've always enjoyed painting my nails and getting manicures.  When I was younger I spent a lot of time and money at nail salons getting some pretty cool stuff done on acrylic nails but I never thought I'd be able to do anything like the art I paid people to do.  A few months ago I picked up some of the Sally Hansen nail strips and started thinking that maybe I could replicate some of the simpler designs so I started searching Youtube and to my amazement many things I thought looked impossible were much easier than I ever would have thought.  I'm still learning as I go, still very far from where I'd like to be, but at the same time I think I've come a long way in three short months.

How many polishes do you have in your stash?  I haven't counted recently but it is approaching 500.

What are your favorite base and top coats?  Right now I'm very into OPI Natural Nail Base Coat and Seche Vite top coat.

What are some of your other hobbies or interests? Beer in all its glory.  I'm not talking about your standard American macro-brews, but the artisan craft brews you come across.  I'm very active on Untappd, RateBeer and Beer Advocate and am very active in the craft beer scene in the greater Phoenix area.  I've had some of the most amazing and rare beers in the world and have met some of the most amazing people through my love of beer.  I'm also really, really into comic books and love hitting up conventions when they're held close by.  I'm currently making a Dalek dress for the 2013 Phoenix Comic Con. 

What is your #1 polish lemming right now?  Anything by Nerd Lacquer and the original Sally Hansen Hidden Treasures.

If you only had one polish on a desert island, what would it be?  Oh wow, this is a tough one.  Um probably Layla Hologram Effect in Flash Black - it's something I would never get tired of looking at from different angles in the sunlight.

Do you prefer freehand art, taping, or stamping?  If you had asked me this a few months ago I would have said stamping but I'm forcing myself more and more to do freehand work.

What upcoming collection are you most excited for?  I'm really looking forward to the Zoya Spring 2013 collection as well as the textured polishes they've been hinting at.

What is the best Christmas present you've ever received? An Atari 2600 and several games way back in the day.  Man, I loved that thing.  I actually still have it and every computer I've ever owned.  I just can't part with them.

Gingerbread men or sugar cookies?  Gingerbread men provided they're done right and don't threaten to break my teeth. :)

Multicolored lights or all white?  White on the tree, multicolored on the outside of the house.

What is your favorite holiday tradition?  Sadly as I've gotten older and my extended family has gotten smaller many of our traditions have died off.  I still love baking cookies for Santa with my children though - and eating them after they go to sleep.

And now you know Robyn! Go check out her blog and don't forget to follow!

Comments